In a creative’s line of business, the technology and information surrounding your line of work seem to be ever changing and growing at a faster pace than ever before. The things I learned at photography school ten years ago (shout out to Hallmark Institute of Photography) were ahead of the curve with industry trends and truly set me up for business success. But, 2008 looks a lot different from 2018. Creative communities that place a high value on sharing your successes, tips, tricks and even failures to the masses have catapulted a 'community over competition' movement.
Gone are the days of quietly struggling to learn the inner workings of SEO, how to shoot manual, how to build a brand, blog with intention all while feeling like your competition is trying to best you at every turn. We’re living in an age where education is power. We all win if we can help our community to be their best selves, help all to find value in their work, and cut the loneliness of being a business owner out.
Workshops, local meet ups (like the Rising Tide Society) and educational conferences give us all the tools we need to succeed. It’s an experience to open your world up to different approaches in the way you to business, find your ‘why’, and it might even give you that fresh new outlook you’ve been looking for. The best value you’ll walk away with: inspiration, motivation and community.
Five Reasons Why You Should Be Attending Styled Workshops
1. Consistency - It’s all set up for you! Beautifully crafted and curated scenes to flow with the styled inspiration of the day are just waiting for you to start clicking away. Images from styled workshops allow for clear branding and consistency in your marketing, portfolio and on your social media feeds.
2. High End – Are you looking to attract your ideal client, but just don’t have the images to capture their attention? Maybe you want to raise your prices? Styled shoots are on trend, stylish, and are what couples are pinning to their wedding boards. The details involved are the best of the best. The tablescapes, invitation suites, bridal details, professional hair and make up, sprawling floral bouquets, and more have all been intentionally thought of.
3. Social Media – Are you running out of things to post? Is your feed looking a little dull? Wish vendors would post your photos? After a styled shoot you will receive the contact information of everyone involved. That list is pure gold. You now have 15+ vendors that could potentially use your images on their instagram, website, facebook, marketing, etc. They’re marketing for you and exposing your brand to people you might not have crossed paths with.
4. Magazine Worthy – The photos you’re creating at these events are silver platter, ready to submit to publications and blogs. Using a site like Two Bright Lights will triple your chances of that happening! Pro Tip: magazines love detail shots!
5. Return on Investment – The new bookings + vendor referrals you’ll receive from events like these pay for themselves almost immediately after only one booking.
From my experience...
Last month I attended a Wedding Boston styled workshop simply to take behind the scenes photos for their social media. I walked away with new vendor connections/friendships, new ideas, shooting knowledge, and publication ready images. As of today, I have FOUR magazines and blogs that have accepted my submissions from this workshop.
Step outside of your comfort zone, and make some magic.
I will be speaking at Wedding Boston’s next styled workshop & conference at Bittersweet Farms!
This event will be held on May 30 at Bittersweet Farm in Westport, MA
We will be capturing 2019 color trends with a clean tropical beach feel.
Timeline of Events
9:30 am - Check In, Mingle, Behind the Scenes
10 am - Jenny from Wedding Boston Magazine will talk about the styled shoot & shot list and what to expect throughout the day.
10:15 - Danyel Stapleton from Danyel Stapleton Photography will talk about how to shoot for publications.
10:30 - 11:30 - Details shots of Cake, Invitations, Table Scape
11:30 - 1:00 - Bride, Bride & Groom, Bride & Bridesmaids Captures
1:00 - Break for Lunch
1:45 - Christine Gagnon from Eisley Images & Ryan Devoll of Ryan Devoll Photography and Leaders for Rising Tide Society in RI will speak about overcoming challenges in today’s wedding industry and how we can network.
2:10 - Drive to the beach to capture beach & ceremony shots -
4:10 - Jenny will chat about social media: How to grow your audience, how to find potential clients on social, Instagram etiquette.
4:20 - Wrap up will all with Q & A from all lead photographers and speakers.
Event should end around 5pm.
All the details will be created for you - all you have to do is show up with camera and lighting equipment in hand!
There will be a multiple stations set up throughout the day. Professional services such a florist, cake, stationery, hair, makeup, professional models...etc. I am opening this event up to photographers, videographers and event planners!
Please email Jenny at email@example.com with any questions!
Link to reserve your spot. I have a deep discount for you! Want it? firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue: Norwood Space Center
Bridal Gown Eve of Milady for Allegria Bridal
Bridesmaid Dresses: Haley Paige for Allegria Bridal, Amsale for Allegria Bridal
Florals: Whitemoss & Twigs http://whitemossandtwigs.com/
Cake: Shinyball Creations http://shinyballcakes.com/
Hair & Make-up: Verde Salon http://www.verdesalon.org/our-bride/
Vintage Rentals: Simply Vintage Rentalhttp://simplyvintagerentals.com/index.html
Stationery: Narrative Design Cohttps://www.narrativedesignsco.com/
Tuxedo: Classic Tuxedo Newbury Streethttp://www.classictuxedo.com
Hair Accessories: USA Bride
Bride: Mandy - @mandyrogersvt
Bridesmaid: Nina - @ninamasmodeling
Bridesmaid: Katie Dye - @dyenamo.kate
Groom: Brett - @brettwrobinson